Wednesday, June 16, 2010

My big boy!


When AJ started the transitional class I was really nervous and worried. I knew it was the right thing for him, but I also wasn't sure how long it would take him to get used to the setting being as it was so different from anything he'd ever experienced before AND without mommy and daddy there with him. I thought "one hour a week? it's gonna take months for him to get used to this!"

I was wrong.

He is now only crying when we leave him...a very short time - 20-30 seconds. He is used to the class and the therapists that are in there with him. He sits on his own now and claps during circle time, participates in the craft time (assisted of course) and isn't terribly anxious to go when we go in for him after the class. I was amazed and SO happy. He got such an amazing report from last week. I was smiling all day.

AJ is learning to say alot more things. He was saying "goooo" when you would say "ready, set", but then we started doing "one, two" and having him say "threeee" so he kinda got stuck on that. So it become "ready, set, THREEEEE". LOL Now he won't say either one anymore. He is stuck on the word "one". We count and count, but he's pretty stuck on "one" for the most part. He can say the other numbers, but he hasn't fully grasped it yet. If he says five, it's along with six...like they go together. "five, six". Randomly. He's just adorable.

He calls me "Me Me", but also says "meme" when he wants something. He is still a little hot headed, but the head banging is less, the freaking out is less and throwing things down the stairs has decreased tremendously. He even is listening better, which is SO wonderful. I told him to get down off of the table and he did right away. He got back up twice, BUT he listened to me when I told him to get down again and then stayed down.

He is nearly always happy. He loves to stack his blocks and carry them around. He is always so very proud of his accomplishments. He can see the joy and pride in our faces and it makes him so excited. If his blocks fall, he does throw a fit, but as he's crying he continues to rebuild his stack. Over and over again. He is very persistant. He always has been.

He is still amazing at bedtime. He never goes right to sleep and stays up alot longer than he ever used to because as soon as I put him in the bed he stands up to start playing with his aquarium! But he doesn't cry and he's a very good boy.

He still loves to ride in the car....but he does hate to get back in the car when we leave mom or grandma and aunt nancy's houses. He has such a wonderful time.

AJ is in LOVE with being outside. This has to be his favorite thing. He loves to just walk. He doesn't care where or who with, he's just thrilled to be out walking. He also loves riding in the wagon with his sister. He is not fond of coming back in the house much at all. Not at all. Nope. Not even a little. :-)

AJ brushes his teeth alot better now. He will put his head forward to put on his jammies at bedtime and he is always excited to be in the bathtub.

My son is such a loving, sweet and happy boy. I am so proud to be his mommy.

2 comments:

scruffy01 said...

Thats great!!!!!!
Thankyou for the update.
Love Dad

nkbridges said...

Thank you so much Heather for sharing such a wonderful update on your adorable AJ. He is truly a wonderful little boy and I love him dearly.